In October 1947, this battalion was established as the U.S. Army and U.S. Air Force Recruiting Main Station, located at Fort Preble, Maine. It consisted of five recruiting stations in Maine and one in Berlin, N.H. From 1950 to 1954 the headquarters was located at Fort Williams, Maine.
In 1962, the Main Station was moved to Portland. It expanded to include the Bangor, Maine, and Manchester, N.H., commands. By 1965, there were ten recruiting stations in Maine, seven in N.H. and two in Vt.
In 1967, the battalion relocated to Concord, N.H. This consolidated the 21 recruiting stations in the three state area under one headquarters. At that time, the stations' area commanders were master sergeants.
In June 1973, the Nation’s "all volunteer" military was established. Within the Army, new recruiting programs were initiated. These included statewide Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) testing of high school students; closer coordination with school counselors and increasing advertising expenditures.
In May 1974, the battalion was designated the Concord District Recruiting Command (DRC). It comprised three geographic areas: Area I covered Northern Maine; Area II covered Southern Maine and Area III covered N.H. and half of Vt. A total of 53 field recruiters were assigned to the command.
In 1976, all counties of Vt. came under the Albany District Recruiting Command and so the battalion lost its presence in that state.
In 1978, District Commands assumed the Army Reserve mission and additional stations were opened within the Concord DRC’s footprint.
In Oct. 1983, the Concord DRC was renamed the Concord Recruiting Battalion. At that time there were 30 recruiting stations in Maine and N.H. under the command of the battalion.
In July 1987, the Concord Recruiting Battalion moved to the Brunswick Naval Air Station (NAS) Annex, Topsham, Maine and was renamed the Brunswick Recruiting Battalion. Assigned to the battalion were Manchester, Bangor and Portland companies, consisting of 27 stations and an Army Nurse Recruiting station.
In April, 1991, the battalion assumed responsibility for the inactivated Boston Battalion and assumed responsibility for the Boston, North Shore and Providence recruiting companies.
In 1995, the battalion was renamed the New England Army Recruiting Battalion.
In Oct. 2006, the battalion deactivated Portland Company and activated South Shore Company.
In June 2011, the battalion relocated its headquarters to the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard, Kittery, Maine, due to the closing of the Naval Air Station—Brunswick.
Today, the New England Army Recruiting Battalion consists of Maine Company, New Hampshire Company, Boston Company, North Shore Company, Rhode Island Company and South Shore Company.