Welcome To Recruit The Recruiter
Quick Links: Select from available pages.
  | USAREC Home | Facebook RTR |  
Questions or comments contact:
Proud To Be Here
Proud To Serve
  Skip Navigation LinksHome : Sample Application and Guide

Steps in processing a Recruit The Recruiter Application - return to: Packet & Blank Forms

1: Review AR 601-1, Assignment of Enlisted Personnel to the U.S. Army Recruiting Command, to determine if you are eligible and wish to apply for this program.  This regulation covers the DA-selected 
program for recruiters and there are different requirements for the volunteer program explained below in 
step 2. View AR 601-1

2:  Meet the following requirements; some are waiverable and some are not.  See AR 601-1 for guidance.

  1. U.S. citizenship
  2. High school graduate or GED with 30 semester hours of college.  CLEP or DANTES credit is not acceptable.
  3. Minimum GT score of 110, waiverable to 100 (W)
  4. Meet the age standard:  Be at least 21 years old, but not exceed 37 for SGT or 39 for SSG or SFC (W)
  5. Must have 12 months on station if in CONUS. If OCONUS, you must have 6-10 months remaining until DEROS for short tour areas and 6-12 months remaining for long tour areas.
  6. Have completed at least 1 year of service since reclassification
  7. Have 3 years Time in Service (TIS) remaining after completion of the Army Recruiting Course (ARC)
  8. Have at least 4 years Time in Service (TIS) and not exceed the following Time in Grade (TIG) or TIS standards:
    1. SSG (P) or SFC: Maximum 2 years TIG and 14 years TIS.  TIG limit does not apply to SGT(P) (W)
    2. SGT (P) or SSG: Maximum 12 years TIS (W)
    3. SGT Maximum 8 years TIS (W)
  9. Meet NCOES requirements:  PLDC for SGT, BNCOC for SSG and ANCOC (or class date) for SFC
  10. Meet the height/weight standards of AR 600-9 or be within body fat limits
  11. No AWOL or lost time during the current enlistment or in the past 3 years, whichever is longer
  12. Not currently assigned to a Military Entrance Processing Command (MEPCOM) testing section
  13. Minimum profile (PULHES) standard of 132221 or better, no shaving profile, and no visible tattoos that may be perceived as offensive, sexist, distasteful, gang related, etc.  If you have had an MMRB, the findings must have indicated you are eligible to remain in your MOS.
  14. Have a valid civilian driver's license with no record of careless, reckless or unsafe driving
  15. No bankruptcy within the past five years, no current credit problems, and adequate discretionary income
  16. Not currently nor have previously enrolled in the past 12 months in a drug or alcohol dependency intervention program of  any type.  No alcohol related incidents within the past 5 years such as DUI, DWI, or drunk and disorderly.
  17. No law violations such as courts martial, felonies or moral/integrity violations
  18. No marital, emotional, medical, or family problems that would hamper duty performance
  19. Not have more family members (spouse included) than:  2 for SGT, 3 for SGT(P), 4 for SSG and 5 for SFC (W)
  20. Married Army Couples must have family care plan and both must apply and get accepted for the program  (W)
  21. Married Army couples must both apply and get accepted for the program (W)
  22. Sole parents with a family care plan may apply and will be considered on a case-by-case basis (W)
  23. Cannot be pregnant at time of selection or prior to attending Army Recruiting Course (ARC)
Note:  Requirements followed by (W) can be waived on a case-by-case basis.

3:  Review the Recruiting Volunteer web site at: www.usarec.army.mil .  A sample packet can be viewed and 
downloaded and all forms downloaded for use with Formflow or Adobe Acrobat software.

4:  Contact a recruiter using one of the phone numbers in the web site for a telephonic interview to ensure 
you meet the qualifications noted in Step 2 above.  If you are told you are eligible, then you can assemble your application; ensuring documents are less than 90 days old (6 months for mental evaluation) upon receipt at 
USAREC.  DO NOT send an incomplete application (or copies) with plans to send the missing document(s) later.

5:  Print the “Ready to Mail Application” checklist from the web site and using the checklist make sure your 
application is complete and accurate. 
Mail the original application to: 

1307 3RD AVE, 
FT KNOX, KY 40121-2726.
You should keep a copy of your application for your files.

6.  Application is screened for completeness and accuracy and you are notified of any discrepancies.

7:  Application is forwarded to the USAREC Liaison at TAPERSCOM for coordination with your current 
MOS branch manager who conditionally approves or disapproves your request for release into the recruiter program. Also the Background Investigation is initiated.  This process can take 4 - 6 months.

8:  You are tentatively slotted for the Army Recruiting Course (ARC) and your assignment to a recruiting
battalion is worked.  Assignment is made by USAREC after a favorable Background Investigation is completed. 
You can expect to receive your assignment about 6 months prior to your report date.

9:  Visit our web site at least monthly for new or updated information or to check the status of your application.


1.Telephonic interview:  Interviewed with a recruiter and told to proceed with an application.

2. Memo, subject:  Recruiting Duty Volunteer Statement:  Ensure you provide the information requested 
at the bottom of the memo to include your signature. Use the example on page 3.

3. DA Form 5425-R (3 pages):  Complete using only your income (do not include your spouse's income). 
In block 6c, put your monthly clothing allowance (annual allowance divided by 12).  Add blocks 6a, 6b, 
and 6c and place the total in block 6d.  For block 6e, add the following from your latest LES:  federal taxes,
FICA, state taxes (if applicable) and Medicare taxes.  Subtract block 6e from 6d for your after-tax total and 
place that amount in block 6f.  In block 6g put your BAH (if  you receive it), and any other income that will 
not change after you PCS.  Add blocks 6f and 6g for your total monthly spendable income.  Put your monthly 
rent or house payment in block 8j if you live off post and recognized BAH as income in block 6g.  After 
completing this form, sign and date on the bottom of page 3.  Disclosure of this information is voluntary; 
however, failure to provide this information may delay or suspend the application. 
Use the examples on pages 4-6.

4. DA Form 5427-R:  Your first level commander (company, battery, detachment, etc.) completes this form. 
No delegation is authorized unless accompanied by assumption of command orders.  With the assistance 
of your personnel office or training office, you must complete the top portion and blocks 13a through 15b. 
The commander completes blocks 1 through 12 and must explain any ratings of 1, 2, or 3 in the remarks section. 
Use the examples on pages 7 and 8.

5. DA Form 5426-R:  Your battalion commander or first LTC supervisor completes this form. 
No delegation is authorized unless accompanied by assumption of command orders.  You should complete 
the admin portion of Part 1 and the Bn Cdr must complete the remaining blocks.  The Bn Cdr signs at the bottom 
of the form and your PSNCO provides their name and phone number.  The Bn Cdr must provide comments 
if he/she feels you not qualified while positive comments are optional.  Use the example on page 9.

6. Assignment preference map:  Go to our web site, download the Map to indicate assignment preferences
and indicate your assignment preferences for recruting duty. Indicate the order of preference for your selections.

7. Include the following documents:

  1. Mental evaluation (DA Form 3822 or whatever document is provided by Mental Hygiene)
  2. Enlisted Record Brief (ERB) (formerly the DA Form 2A and 2-1)
  3. APFT card indicating a passing score within the past 6 months
  4. DA photo

Note: Documents must be less than 90 days old upon receipt at USAREC except for the mental evaluation, 
which must be within 6 months.

8. Include the following documents if applicable:

  1. Body fat worksheet signed by your commander or first sergeant if you exceed the table in AR 600-9.
  2. Photos of all tattoos except for those in private areas. Photos can be taken with a personal camera.
  3. Proof of enrollment in the EFMP that indicates the type of treatment required for your family member(s).
  4. A copy of family care plans for Married Army Couples and sole parents.
  5. Provide a copy of any Article 15s. If you cannot obtain a copy, include a memo from your commander that  explains the charge(s) and punishment administered.
  6. Proof of 30 semester hours of college if you are not a high school graduate.  Transcripts, grade slips or your  ERB posted with 1 or more year of college will be acceptable proof.  CLEP or DANTES credit is not acceptable.
  7. A copy of MMRB results from any P3 profile.
  8. Prior recruiters (previously awarded SQI 4) must include the following:
    1. All NCOERs from the time entered recruiting duty till present
    2. All point sheets from prior recruiting duty and orders for highest level recruiting award
    3. A copy of your highest recruiter award (GB, 1SS, 2SS, 3SS, Ring, Medallion)
    4. A Memo statement that indicates where assigned and the prior chain of command (Station Commanders, 1SG's and Sergeant Major's) while on recruiting duty.

9. Other documents:  May be required for some applicants.  If this applies, you will be called or emailed
requesting additional documentation.

Privacy Act Statement

Applicant Personal Financial Statement (1)

Applicant Personal Financial Statement (2)

Applicant Personal Financial Statement (3)

Commanders Assessment Candidate (1)

Commanders Assessment Candidate (2)

Commanders Evaluation

Brigade Map


Q: What is the difference between a DA-selected Recruiter and a Volunteer Recruiter?

A: A DA-selected Recruiter is an NCO whose branch has nominated him/her for duty as a recruiter.  Each MOS branch is responsible for assigning soldiers and some of the assignments could be for special duty such as recruiter.  If you meet the criteria, you could very well be DA-selected for this assignment.  There is a similar program for selecting Drill Sergeants.  For example, last FY over 1000 NCOs were DA-selected for recruiting duty.  This means 1000 NCOs were selected to serve outside their PMOS, sent to recruiting school and assigned as needed by the United States Army Recruiting Command (USAREC).  Each received their recruiter duty
assignments around the 4th week of school.  Volunteer Recruiters, on the other hand, know their assignment before attending recruiting school.  They make their preference known by selecting 3 companies.  Volunteer Recruiters are guaranteed to receive one of the three company choies. Last FY, 90% of all Volunteer Recruiters received one of their first three assignment choices.

Q: How many individuals will I be responsible for enlisting each month?

A: The average mission per recruiter across the command is 2 contracts per month.  Again, this is an average. Without getting too specific, mission is distributed across the command according to DOD enlistment's during previous years within specific  zip codes.  All of your training is geared towards prospecting for and processing at least 2 enlistment's monthly.  Also, you will be responsible for your market area, particularly at least one high school from which students may only join the Army through you.

Q: I have always been a successful soldier, can I be certain that my success will continue in USAREC?

A: Upon completion of the Army Recruiter Course (ARC), you will be trained and ready to perform your duties as a recruiter; however, your training will not end with the ARC.  You will be placed in a 9 month transitional program, called the New Recruiter Program.  These 9 months are non rated, allowing you time to learn the more about recruiting.

Q: What happens to my career if I am unsuccessful in recruiting?

A: USAREC has never used failure to make mission as a means to destroy a career.  Does the Army ruin the career of an infantryman that cannot fire his weapon? No, training is increased so soldiers can reach the standard.  However, a  poor attitude or work ethic could hurt your career in USAREC.  You must continually perform with a positive attitude regardless of mission success.  A superb attitude and a good work ethic usually result in success as a recruiter.

Q: Where will my dependents go for medical/dental/emergency support?

A: As a recruiter, you will use TRICARE because you will probably not be located near a military installation. Each battalion has a Health Care Advisor that will brief you upon arrival and show you how your family's medical needs will be met.

Q: Where will I live while I am a Recruiter?

A: Housing is your decision. You can rent, buy, or if you are located near a military installation, apply for quarters. Your sponsor can send you housing information well in advance so you can get a preview of cost and location.  It is recommended that you live near your assigned recruiting station.

Q: Will I be able to change my MOS to 79R if I want to remain a recruiter longer than the standard three-year tour?

A: You can request to convert to 79R as early as 18 months as a recruiter, but in most instances you must have 24 months or more.  You will receive appropriate counseling from your chain-of-command should you decide to covert. This is a career decision that you must make.  If you choose not to convert, or if your conversion is denied, you will complete your 3 year tour and return to your MOS.

Q: I have been on station for 9 months and I want to be a recruiter now.  Why can't I apply?

A: Normally soldiers are stabilized at CONUS installations for 24 months after PCS.  You can apply after you have 12 or more months on station, because by the time you get selected and PCS to your recruiting battalion, you will have close to or more than 24 months on station.

Q: I have less than six months remaining on my overseas tour in Germany.  Why can't I apply?

A: Once you have a return assignment—and this is usually done at least six months prior to DEROS for long tour areas—we can't take you into the program until you reach your CONUS assignment and have 12 or more months on station.  Also, it takes about 6 months to process your application and to obtain a school date for the Army Recruiting Course.

Q: I am stationed overseas, can I apply?

A: For long tour areas, you must complete 2/3rds of your tour.  This means you must have between 6 and 12 months remaining until DEROS.  For short tour areas (1 yr. tours) you must have between 6-10 months until DEROS. You cannot apply prior to meeting these requirements because we cannot reassign you until your DEROS assuming you are qualified and selected.  We do not have the authority to curtail your tour.  Also, if you have less than the required 6 months, you probably already have a return assignment, or soon will have one, and we cannot get you  diverted into the recruiter program.  If your return assignment is made earlier than 6 months before DEROS, you probably cannot get deleted to apply for the recruiter program.  If you want to become a recruiter, you need to apply as soon as you meet the time on station requirement and not wait until you have the minimum amount of time left till DEROS.

Q: I have been selected and want to know more about my PCS move to become a recruiter.

A: Your reassignment will depend upon circumstances and, in some instances, your desires.  CONUS based, soldiers—with or without family members--go to the Army Recruiting Course (ARC) TDY and return to their parent unit, outprocess, and then report to the recruiting battalion.  OCONUS based, single soldiers go to the ARC TDY enroute before reporting to the recruiting battalion within 5 days of graduation.  OCONUS based soldiers with family members will PCS to the assigned recruiting battalion and then go TDY and return to the ARC about 2 weeks later.  There are exceptions to this standard, but special circumstances must apply.

Q: I am not sure if I am qualified, because I am a SGT(P), married with 2 children, and I pay child support for 1 other child.

A: The limit on family members (including spouse) for a SGT(P) is 3 family members.  You have a spouse, plus 2 children for a total of 3, but you must count the 1 child for which you pay child support.  With a total of 4 family members, you are not eligible without a waiver.  If you feel you have a strong record and have adequate spendable income, you may submit an application and it will be reviewed to determine if a waiver will be granted.  In counting family members, you should include all family members that reside with you (including spouse) and any children for which you pay child support.

Q: I have a tattoo on my arm, will this affect my eligibility?

A: You cannot have any tattoos that may be perceived as offensive, sexist, distasteful, gang related, etc. and you must provide a photo of each tattoo that is clear in detail and clearly shows each tattoos, except for those in private areas.

Q: I declared bankruptcy 6 years ago, can I apply to become a recruiter?

A: Yes, you can apply because your bankruptcy was over 5 years ago, but the bankruptcy may be a factor in your selection. You cannot have had a bankruptcy within the past 5 years, cannot have current credit problems, and must have adequate discretionary income.

Q: I have a GED, can I quality?

A: Yes, if you have 30 semester hours of college beyond the GED.  CLEP or DANTES credit is not acceptable.  It is possible to get a waiver of this requirement if you have a strong record otherwise.

Q: What are the Time in Service (TIG) and Time in Grade (TIG) limits?

A:  SGT:  maximum 8 years TIS, no TIG restriction
     SGT(P) or SSG:  maximum 12 years TIS, no TIG restriction
     SSG(P) or SFC:  maximum 14 years TIS and maximum 2 years TIG for the SFC
     Waivers are possible to these standards if you have an outstanding record.

Q: I am a SSG who is 40 years old.  Can I apply?

A: The age standard is:  You must be at least 21 years old, but not exceed 37 for SGT or 39 for SSG or SFC.  Since you exceed the age limit by 1 year (39 for SSG), you can apply but you will require a waiver.  Your waiver will be evaluated at  USAREC after a review of your entire application.

Q: I only have 18 months til ETS, Can I apply?

A: Yes, you can apply but you will eventually have to reenlist or extend to have 3 years service remaining after completion of  the Army Recruiting Course (ARC).  We do not enforce this requirement when you submit your application, but if you are selected, you will have to extend or reenlist before your orders to attend the ARC are published.

Q: I have a family member enrolled in the Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP), can I qualify?

A: There are no established restrictions, however, you must provide a copy of your family member(s) enrollment in the EFMP with your application.

Q: I have a P3 profile, can I apply?

A: It depends upon the type of profile.  Minimum profile standard is a PULHES of 132221.  If you have a 3 under any area other than U (upper extremities), then you are not qualified.  If you have a P3 profile under the U, you might be qualified, but you must also include a copy of the findings from your MMRB.

Q: I have a P3 profile and my MMRB states I can stay in the Army, but not in my primary MOS, can I apply to become a recruiter?

A: No.  if you are required to reclassify, you are not eligible for the program.

Q: I received a summarized Article 15 last year, can I apply?

A: An Article 15 does not preclude you from applying, but it might be a factor in your selection.  For us to make a decision,  you must include a copy of all Article 15s, including summarized.  If you cannot find a copy of the Article 15, then include a  memo from your commander that explains the charge(s) and punishment administered.

Q: I am a prior recruiter and I would like to go back on recruiting duty, is this possible?

A: Yes it is possible.  You must meet the same prerequisites as everyone else and then provide additional documentation with  your application.  Prior recruiters (previously awarded SQI 4) must include the following:  (1)  All NCOERs from the time entered recruiting duty til present; (2)  All point sheets from prior recruiting duty and orders for highest level recruiting award, (3)  A copy of your highest recruiter award (GB, 1SS, 2SS, 3SS, Ring, Medallion), and (4)  A statement that indicates where assigned while on recruiting duty.

Q: I know my spouse must also apply and get accepted if I am enrolled in the Married Army Couples Program, but what if I disenroll so I can apply for this program?

A: When you are married to another service member, both of your must volunteer, be qualified and be accepted, regardless of whether or not you are enrolled in the MACP.

Q: Can I continue to go to school or college while on recruiting duty?

A: Yes.  As a matter of fact, you will be encouraged to continue your education because it will benefit you both personally and professionally.  You benefit from the education and you are also more visible to your market.  Attending a college or school could put you in contact with prospects.

Q: Can I be stationed overseas as a recruiter?

A: Not usually.  The only OCONUS location open to a volunteer recruiter is Puerto Rico and you must also speak Spanish.

Q: Can I get promoted or attend NCOES schools while on recruiting duty?

A: Of course you can get promoted and attend BNCOC or ANCOC.  As a matter of fact, your tour as a recruiter should help speed up the process of promotions and the follow on NCOES school.


The appearance of external links does not constitute endorsement by the United States Army Recruiting Command (USAREC) of this Web site or of the information, products or services contained therein. In addition, USAREC does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. Such links are provided consistent with the stated purpose of this USAREC Web site.