Welcome To Recruit The Recruiter
Quick Links: Select from available pages.
  | USAREC Home | Facebook RTR |  
Questions or comments contact:
Proud To Be Here
Proud To Serve
  Skip Navigation LinksHome : FAQs

 Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is the difference between a DA-selected Recruiter and a Volunteer Recruiter?

A: A DA-selected Recruiter is an NCO whose branch has nominated him/her for duty as a recruiter. Each MOS branch is responsible for assigning soldiers and some of the assignments could be for special duty, such as recruiter. If you meet the criteria, you could very well be DA-selected for this assignment. There is a similar program for selecting Drill Sergeants. For example, last FY over 1000 NCOs were DA-selected for recruiting duty. This means a 1000 NCOs were selected to serve outside their PMOS, sent to recruiting school and assigned as needed by the United States Army Recruiting Command (USAREC). Each received their recruiter duty assignments around the 2nd week of school. Volunteer Recruiters, on the other hand, know their battalion level assignment before attending recruiting school. They make their preference known by selecting 3 brigades, 3 battalions per brigade and numbering them in order of their preference from 1-9 (with 1 being your first choice).

Q: I went to the ASK program and volunteered. Now they tell me that I am a DA Select. Why?

A. In order for you to be considered as a volunteer, you must have submitted an original volunteer application to the Recruit the Recruiter team at Ft. Knox (not your Branch Manager). This application must have been submitted prior to being placed on DA Select Orders. If you did submit an original volunteer application prior to being DA Selected, then you will be considered as a Volunteer.

Q: Can you explain how I will transition into USAREC, both from a CONUS or OCONUS assignment?

A: CONUS based Soldiers, with or without family members, will go to the Army Recruiting Course (ARC) TDY and return to their parent unit, PCS, and then report to the recruiting battalion. OCONUS based Soldiers, with or without family members, will PCS to the assigned recruiting center and then go TDY and return to the ARC about 2 weeks later. Exceptions are granted in exceptional circumstances.

Q: Are there any resources available to assist me during my PCS to USAREC?

A: To being planning your move, you can take advantage of a great resource called ‘Plan My Move’! For more information, please go to http://www.militaryhomefront.dod.mil/, and click on the ‘Plan My Move’ icon.

Q: What resources or programs are available to me and my family while assigned to USAREC?

A: There are many programs available, to include: (1) Up to $6,000 for spouses to advance careers; (2) Military OneSource; (3) Child Care Assistance Program; (4) Hero Salute Program; (5) Online ACAP Services; (6) Solder and Family Assistance Programs. Please go to http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/HRD/SFA/ for more information. THESE ARE GREAT PROGRAMS – CHECK THEM OUT!!

Q: Where will I live while I am a Recruiter?

A: Housing is your decision. You can rent, buy, or if you are located near a military installation, apply for quarters. You may also take advantage of Government Leased Housing. For more information on GLH, please go to http://www.usarec.army.mil/fhp/. Your sponsor can send you housing information well in advance so you can get a preview of cost and location. It is recommended that you live near your assigned recruiting center.

Q: I attended a Recruit the Recruiter presentation over 1 year ago but I did not complete the application. I have been DA Selected. Can I still be considered as a volunteer?

A: No. Attendance at a Recruit the Recruiter brief does not make you a volunteer. You must have submitted a volunteer recruiter packet within the last 6 months.

Q: I contacted the battalion that I want to recruit from and I got a letter of acceptance. Does this guarantee the assignment?

A: No, it does not. The battalions do not grant the assignments. All of our assignments are given at the USAREC, G1. Letters of acceptance are not supposed to be issued. After you have received the battalion level assignment from the Recruit the Recruiter Team, then you can contact that battalion to work on company/center level assignment.

Q: I have always been a successful Soldier, can I be certain that my success will continue in USAREC?

A: Your success will continue! Upon completion of the Army Recruiter Course (ARC), you will be trained and ready to perform your duties as a recruiter; however, your training will not end with the ARC. You will be placed in a 6 month transitional program, called the New Recruiter Program. These 6 months are non-rated, allowing you time to become proficient in the eight recruiting functions of a recruiter.

Q: Where will my dependents go for medical/dental/emergency support?

A: As a recruiter, you will use TRICARE Prime if you’re located next to a military installation or TRICARE Prime Remote if you are not located near a military installation. Each battalion has a Health Care Advisor that will brief you upon arrival and show you how your family's medical needs will be met.

Q: Will I be able to change my MOS to 79R if I want to remain a recruiter longer than the standard three-year tour?

A: You can request to convert to 79R as early as 15 months as a recruiter, but in most instances you must have 24 months or more. You will receive appropriate counseling from your chain-of-command should you decide to covert. This is a career decision that you must make. If you choose not to convert, or if your conversion is denied, you will complete your 3 year tour and return to your MOS.

Q: I recently completed a PCS to a CONUS station. When can I apply for recruiting duty?

A: You can apply after you have 12 or more months on station, because by the time you get selected and PCS to your recruiting battalion, you will have close to or more than 24 months on station. Generally, Soldiers are stabilized at CONUS installations for 24 months after PCS.

Q: I am stationed OCONUS; When can I apply for recruiting duty?

A: For long tour areas, you must complete 2/3rds of your tour. This means you must have between 6 and 12 months remaining until DEROS. For short tour areas (1 yr. tours) you must have between 6-10 months until DEROS. You cannot apply prior to meeting these requirements because we cannot reassign you until your DEROS assuming you are qualified and selected. We do not have the authority to curtail your tour. Also, if you have less than the required 6 months, you probably already have a return assignment, or soon will have one, and we cannot get you diverted into the recruiter program. If you want to become a recruiter, you need to apply as soon as you meet the time on centerrequirement and not wait until you have the minimum amount of time left till DEROS.

Q: I am not sure if I am qualified, because I am a SGT(P), married with 2 children, and I pay child support for 1 other child.

A: The limit on family members (including spouse) for a SGT(P) is 3 family members. You have a spouse, plus 2 children for a total of 3, but you must count the 1 child for which you pay child support. With a total of 4 family members, you are not eligible without a waiver. If you feel you have a strong record and have adequate spendable income, you may submit an application and it will be reviewed to determine if a waiver will be granted. In counting family members, you should include all family members that reside with you (including spouse) and any children for which you pay child support.

Q: I have a tattoo on my arm, will this affect my eligibility?

A: You cannot have any tattoos that may be perceived as offensive, sexist, distasteful, gang related, etc. and you must provide a photo of each tattoo that is clear in detail and clearly shows each tattoo, except for those in private areas.

Q: I declared bankruptcy 6 years ago, can I apply to become a recruiter?

A: Yes, you can apply because your bankruptcy was over 3 years ago, but the bankruptcy may be a factor in your selection. You cannot have had a bankruptcy within the past 3 years, cannot have current credit problems, and must have adequate discretionary income.

Q: I have a GED, can I qualify?

A: Yes, if you have 30 semester hours of college beyond the GED. CLEP or DANTES credit is not acceptable. You may also get a waiver if you have deployment history.

Q: What are the Time in Service (TIS) and Time in Grade (TIG) limits?

A: SGT: maximum 10 years TIS, no TIG restriction; SGT(P) or SSG: maximum 12 years TIS, no TIG restriction; SSG(P) or SFC: maximum 14 years TIS and maximum 2 years TIG for SFC. Waivers are possible, based on the whole Soldier Concept. However, no waiver is authorized for the SFC TIG standard.

Q: I am a SSG who is 40 years old. Can I apply?

A: The age standard is: You must be at least 21 years old, but not exceed 35. Since you exceed the age limit by 4 years (35 for SSG), you can apply but you will require a waiver. Your waiver will be evaluated at USAREC after a review of your entire application.

Q: I only have 18 months until ETS, Can I apply?

A: Yes, you can apply but you will eventually have to reenlist or extend to have 3 years service remaining after completion of the Army Recruiting Course (ARC). We do not enforce this requirement when you submit your application, but if you are selected, you will have to extend or reenlist before your orders to attend the ARC are published.

Q: I have a family member enrolled in the Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP), can I qualify?

A: There are no established restrictions, however, you must provide a copy of your family member(s) enrollment in the EFMP with your application.

Q: I have a P3 profile and my MMRB states I can stay in the Army, but not in my primary MOS, can I apply to become a recruiter?

A: No. if you are required to reclassify, you are not eligible for the program. Once you have held your new MOS for one year and meet the other qualifications, you may apply.

Q: I received a summarized Article 15 last year, can I apply?

A: An Article 15 does not preclude you from applying, but it might be a factor in your selection. For us to make a decision, you must include a copy of all Article 15s, including summarized. If you cannot find a copy of the Article 15, then include a memo explaining the charge(s) and punishment administered.

Q: I am a prior recruiter and I would like to go back on recruiting duty, is this possible?

A: Yes it is possible. You must meet the same prerequisites as everyone else and then provide additional documentation with your application. Prior recruiters (previously awarded SQI 4) must include the following: (1) All NCOERs from the time entered recruiting duty til present; (2) All point sheets from prior recruiting duty and orders for highest level recruiting award, (3) A copy of your highest recruiter award (GB, 1SS, 2SS, 3SS, Ring, Medallion), and (4) A statement that indicates where assigned while on recruiting duty.

Q: I know my spouse must also apply and get accepted if I am enrolled in the Married Army Couples Program. What if I disenroll ... Could I apply for recruiting then?

A: When you are married to another service member, both of your must volunteer, be qualified and be accepted, regardless of whether or not you are enrolled in the MACP. You may request to waive your MACP. You are agreeing to be separated from your family for the duration of your tour. Sometimes, as soon as you waive your MACP, your spouse becomes eligible for worldwide assignment.

Q: Can I continue to go to school or college while on recruiting duty?

A: Yes but it is up to your chain of command. USAREC recommends that you utilize EARMYU to continue your education as well. As a matter of fact, you will be encouraged to continue your education because it will benefit you both personally and professionally. You benefit from the education and you are also more visible to your market. Attending a college or school could put you in contact with prospects.

Q: Can I be stationed overseas as a recruiter?

A: US Army Recruiting Command does, in fact, have recruiting centers in overseas (OCONUS) locations. These assignments are not traditionally available to non-79R recruiters. OCONUS locations require additional experience and training, but more importantly, assignments below the battalion level fall under the purview of the Recruiting Battalion Commander and Command Sergeant Major. FYI: Hawaii and Guam belong to Portland Recruiting Battalion; Alaska belongs to Seattle Recruiting Battalion; Europe belongs to Albany Recruiting Battalion and Puerto Rico belongs to Miami Recruiting Battalion. For more information about these assignments, please contact the recruit the recruiter team.

Q: Can I get promoted or attend NCOES schools while on recruiting duty?

A: Of course you can get promoted and attend ALC or SLC, but not until completion of the 6-month new recruiter program. As a matter of fact, your tour as a recruiter should help speed up the process of promotions and subsequent attendance at NCOES school.

Q: I am deployed. Can I apply?

A: You can apply while you are deployed if you are within 120 days of your redeployment. You will be required to submit proof of the redeployment date, a photograph in ACUs, and a mental evaluation, along with all other required documents.


The appearance of external links does not constitute endorsement by the United States Army Recruiting Command (USAREC) of this Web site or of the information, products or services contained therein. In addition, USAREC does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. Such links are provided consistent with the stated purpose of this USAREC Web site.