Warrant Officer Prerequisites and Duty Description
131A - Field Artillery Targeting Technician
The Field Artillery Warrant Officer provides assistance and advice to the Commander and staff on all matters relative to the employment of target acquisition assets and the Army’s targeting methodology. Synchronizes and coordinates the Army’s targeting process and Joint Fires at all echelons. Plans, organizes, implements, monitors, and evaluates operations, threat environment, maintenance and advice on the technical/tactical employment of Target Acquisition Sensors. At junior grades (W1 and W2) may serve as a Target Acquisition Platoon Leader or Counterfire Officer in the Fires Battalion or a Targeting Analyst at the BCT HQ. Senior Warrant Officers serve as: W3 – BCT Targeting Officers, Field Artillery Intelligence Officers (FAIO) in Divisions and Corps. W4 – Corps FAIO, Corps Targeting Officers and Targeting Officers in a Battlefield Coordination Detachment (BCD.) W5 – Serve as Corps and echelons above Corps Targeting Officers.
Note: Any waiverable prerequisites not met will require a prerequisite waiver in writing to proponent. Be advised that submitting a prerequisite waiver does not constitute automatic approval.
Personnel with over 12 years Time in Service must submit a TIS waiver with packet.
- Be a SSG (SGT for National Guard and Reserve) and above. (Not waiverable)
- Be an Advance Leadership Course (ALC) or BNCOC graduate. (All Phases) (Not waiverable)
- Currently hold MOS 13B, 13D, 13F, 13M, 13P, 13R, 13T, or 11C with 5 years minimum experience in a feeder MOS.
- Have base line scores of 110 for Field Artillery (FA) and Technical (ST).
- Have six (6) hours of English composition and three (3) hours of math (“C “grade or higher) from an accredited college or university.
- Must have two years of documented (By NCOER) Section Chief experience in a feeder MOS. (Not waiverable)
- The majority of NCOERs must reflect outstanding and exceptional duty performance ratings noted with "among the best" ratings by the Rater and "successful" and "superior" ratings by the Senior Rater.
- Soldiers must be fully deployable, able to meet all physical requirements IAW AR 40-501, be able to take and pass a standard three event APFT IAW FM 7-22 and meet height/weight standards IAW AR 600-9.
- Have a written endorsement letter (LOR) from an interview with a CW3-CW5. (CW2-CW5 for National Guard and Reserve) Active duty candidates must receive their LOR from a 131A who is currently on active duty. (Not waiverable)
*Preferred qualifications for Active Component:
- Hold an associate degree or higher from an accredited college or university.
- Complete the following correspondence courses on Doctrine Networked Education & Training (DOCNET): All Intelligence, Operations, targeting, and Joint & planning courses. http://www.dtic.mil/doctrine/docnet/courses/courses.htm
Note: Direct all Warrant Officer Application inquiries to the USAREC Warrant Officer Recruiting Branch.
Only contact the proponent POC below for questions regarding FA prerequisites qualifications.
POC: CW3 Jimmy D. Phelps
FA Proponent Warrant Officer
The appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the United States Army Recruiting Command (USAREC) of this Web site or the information, products or services contained therein. For other than authorized activities such as military exchanges and Morale, Welfare and Recreation sites, the United States Army Recruiting Command (USAREC) does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. Such links are provided consistent with the stated purpose of this DoD Web site.