Warrant Officer Prerequisites and Duty Description
290A - Electronic Warfare Technician
The Electronic Warfare Technicians (EWT), 290As, analyze, plan, organize, implement, monitor, integrate and assess EW operations, threat environment, and technical requirements. The EWT focuses the efforts of EW systems, both air and ground, against adversary personnel, facilities, or equipment with the intent of denying, degrading, neutralizing, defeating or destroying enemy capabilities, while protecting the use of all friendly EW operations through active coordination, integration and de-confliction. The EWT will integrate EW into the targeting and planning process as well as assist in the development of the enemy EW order of battle, EW target information and products, intelligence, and target selection standards. At junior grades (W1 and W2) may serve as an Electronic Warfare Technician at the BCT or Supporting BDE HQ. Senior Warrant Officers serve as: W3-Senior EW Technician at SF Group HQ, Fires Brigade, Battlefield Surveillance Brigade, or a Maneuver Enhancement Brigade. W4-Division and Corps EW Technician. W5-Serve as echelons above Corps EW Technician.
- Be a SSG and Above. (Not Waiverable)
- Be a BNCOC (All Phases) or Advance Leadership Course (ALC) graduate. (Not Waiverable)
- Hold MOS 29E, 25B, 13F w/1J ASI, Navy (1733, 1734, 1736, 1737), Marine Corps (2621, 2629, 2631, 2691), Air Force (1N2X1, 1N5X1, 1N6X1, 2A0X1) (Sister-service must have 5 years minimum experience in their feeder MOS).
- Base line scores of 110 for Electronics (EL) and Technical (ST).
- Must have three (3) hours of English Composition, three (3) hours of Science, and three (3) hours of Math (“C “grade or higher) from an accredited college or university.
- Must have two years documented (NCOERs) in a leadership position in feeder MOS.
- The majority of NCOERs must reflect outstanding and exceptional duty performance ratings noted with "among the best” and “excellence” ratings by the Rater and top (1) "successful" and "superior" ratings by the Senior Rater.
- Soldiers must be fully deployable, able to meet all physical requirements IAW AR 40-501, be able to take/pass standard APFT IAW FM 21-20, and meet height/weight standards IAW AR 600-9.
- Have a SECRET clearance prior to attendance at the 290A qualification course. Note: All EW Warrant Officer (290A) operational assignments may require a final Top Secret clearance with SCI eligibility.
- Have a written endorsement letter (LOR) from an interview with a CW3-CW5 Technical Warrant in the fields of Electronic Warfare, Signal, or Field Artillery who is on Active Duty. (Not Waiverable)
*Preferred qualifications for Active Component:
* Hold an associate degree or higher from an accredited college or university.
* Have 2-3 years of staff experience at multiple echelons to include BCT, DIV, and Corps.
* Have adjudicated TS/SCI security clearance
* Primary duty in EW during a combat rotation to OIF/OEF.
* Have experience and certifications in computer/network security.
Note: Any waiverable prerequisites not met will require a prerequisite waiver in writing to proponent. Be advised that submitting a prerequisite waiver does not constitute automatic approval.
Note: Direct all Warrant Officer Application inquiries to the USAREC Warrant Officer Recruiting Branch. Only contact the proponent POC below for questions regarding EW prerequisite qualifications.
POC: CW3 John D. Koch
EW Proponent Warrant Officer
Electronic Warfare Proponent Office (EWPO)
U.S. Army Combined Arms Center
950 Bluntville Ave. Ft. Leavenworth, KS 66027
The appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the United States Army Recruiting Command (USAREC) of this Web site or the information, products or services contained therein. For other than authorized activities such as military exchanges and Morale, Welfare and Recreation sites, the United States Army Recruiting Command (USAREC) does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. Such links are provided consistent with the stated purpose of this DoD Web site.