Warrant Officer Prerequisites and Duty Description
880A - Marine Deck Officer
Commands Army vessels (Class A1 and A2) operating on lakes, bays, rivers, sounds, coastal, and open ocean waters. Responsible for proper maintenance and operation of vessels and vessel systems, to include (but not limited to): weather and oceanographic analysis and planning, navigation, route planning, communications, safety, pollution prevent and abatement, risk assessment, amphibious operations, Joint Maritime operations, crew leadership, training, vessel readiness, force protection & weapon systems,
medical preparedness & vessel sanitation, helicopter & airborne operations, seaworthiness, firefighting, and ships business. Navigates vessels using all available means, to include nautical charts, ECDIS, area plotting sheets, compass, sextant, terrestrial bearings, depth soundings, radar ranges and bearings, and electronic navigational aids.
(Any minimum prerequisites not met will require a prerequisite waiver in writing to proponent)
- SSG (E6) or above.
- Completion of all phases of the Advance Leadership Course (Indicated on ERB and provide copy of DA Form 1059).
- Hold 88K MOS:
- Must be certified in the CMF 88 to grade as per AR 56-9 if holding MOS 88K.
- Have equivalent experience from another service component.
- Have equivalent experience from civilian sector with US Coast Guard credentials and currently serving in a service component.
- Four years of documented marine experience in the deck department within the past seven years.
- Preponderance of sea time must be on Class A1 or A2 vessel.
- Score at the 12th grade level or above on both the mathematics computation and applied mathematics portion of the Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE).
- Must have physical profile of not less than 22221 (to hold MOS).
- Must be in compliance with AR 40-501 para 4-12 a 5(a)(b) and AR 56-9 para 5-2 b (2)(a)(b)(c).
- Marine Certification Form (DA Form 7434) be completed with physical and included in packet.
- Have written recommendation and a review of the applicant’s packet from a senior warrant officer (CW4 or above) in the 880A MOS. If the unit level commander is a CW4, this memorandum serves as the requirement for a commander’s endorsement and warrant officer letter of recommendation.
- Soldier will submit all NCOER; other service components will submit at all evaluation reports.
- Preponderance of NCOER must reflect Among the Best with minimum overall performance not less than 2 and overall potential not less than 2.
- Must document exceptional MOS and leadership skills.
Please contact the proponent POC below for any questions regarding qualifications. Address all other inquiries to the Warrant Officer Recruiting Branch at firstname.lastname@example.org
CW4 James Dial
The appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the United States Army Recruiting Command (USAREC) of this Web site or the information, products or services contained therein. For other than authorized activities such as military exchanges and Morale, Welfare and Recreation sites, the United States Army Recruiting Command (USAREC) does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. Such links are provided consistent with the stated purpose of this DoD Web site.