Warrant Officer Prerequisites and Duty Description
881A - Marine Engineering Officer
Responsible for the efficient and economical operation of the engine room machinery, auxiliary
machinery, and specific deck equipment. Supervises and performs installation and repair of marine power plants, propulsion systems, heating and ventilation systems, and other mechanical plumbing and electrical equipment in ships and marine facilities. Inspects ships, machinery to determine compliance with maintenance standards and/or to determine extent and nature of repairs required. Maintains maintenance logbooks and prepares maintenance reports and work orders. Implements the Army Maintenance Management System (TAMMS) as it applies to Marine material. Manages onboard vessels repair parts supply.
(Any minimum prerequisites not met will require a prerequisite waiver in writing to proponent)
- SSG (E6) or above.
- Completion of all phases of the Advance Leadership Course (Indicated on ERB and provide copy of DA Form 1059).
- Hold 88L or 12P with ASI 32 MOS:
- Must be certified in the CMF 88 to grade as per AR 56-9 if holding MOS 88L.
- Have equivalent experience from another service component.
- Have equivalent experience from civilian sector with US Coast Guard credentials and currently serving in a service component.
- Four years of documented marine experience in the engine department within the past seven years.
- Preponderance of sea time must be on Class A1 or A2 vessel.
- Score at the 12th grade level or above on both the mathematics computation and applied mathematics portion of the Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE).
- Must have physical profile of not less than 22221 (to hold MOS).
- Must be in compliance with AR 40-501 para 4-12 a 5(a)(b) and AR 56-9 para 5-2 b (2)(a)(b)(c).
- Marine Certification Form (DA Form 7434) be completed with physical and included in packet.
- Have written recommendation and a review of the applicant’s packet from a senior warrant officer (CW4 or above) in the 881A MOS. If the unit level commander is a CW4, this memorandum serves as the requirement for a commander’s endorsement and warrant officer letter of recommendation.
- Soldier will submit all NCOER; other service components will submit all evaluation reports.
- Preponderance of NCOER must reflect Among the Best with minimum overall performance not less than 2 and overall potential not less than 2.
- Must document exceptional MOS and leadership skills.
- Have one year of the prerequisite experience onboard a Class A Army Vessel or equivalent class ship.
- Be an Advanced Leadership Course (ALC) graduate.
Please contact the proponent POC below for any questions regarding qualifications. Address all other inquiries to the Warrant Officer Recruiting Branch at firstname.lastname@example.org
Daniel L. Edwards
Warrant Officer Proponent
Office of the Chief of Transportation (OCOT)
The appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the United States Army Recruiting Command (USAREC) of this Web site or the information, products or services contained therein. For other than authorized activities such as military exchanges and Morale, Welfare and Recreation sites, the United States Army Recruiting Command (USAREC) does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. Such links are provided consistent with the stated purpose of this DoD Web site.